My own little hunk of Cyberspace

Monday, January 30, 2006

Family Ties

My Grandmother, Kathryn Snidow Sowers, was a remarkable woman. As a matter of fact, I was lucky to not only know all of my grandparents, but 3 great grandparents, which were all very special to me in different ways. But it was my "Granny Kay" that inspired me to take up drawing, painting, collecting family artifacts, and researching and recording our family history. Today, although it can still be a challenge, it is SO much easier for me than it was for her. She dutifully and diligently wrote to relatives, state and federal agencies, genealogical and historical associations, supplying what little information she had on some distant relative, only to be returned little tid-bits of information that she compiled for over 50 years into an impressive family tree.

Today - I have the benefit of her research and the internet. To give you an idea of how much more information is available for genealogical research - I submit this case in point. I haven't touched this information in almost ten years, but I estimate that my Grandmother's research supplied about 125 of our ancestors, and I had added about that many more (and expanded the search to my mother's side of the family). Since restarting my research last week - I have added about 130 names and tons of missing dates and locations, as well as many historical facts. I am amazed at the information that is available that was not out there 10 years ago. I have census records, church directories, and thousands of other researcher's information at my fingertips.

So - I continue to research our family, partly for the challenge, party for the historical education one receives doing so - but mainly to continue the legacy of my remarkable grandmother, Kathryn Snidow Sowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home